Re: [*FSFFU*] Starship Troopers

From: Stephen Smith (jrfss@CLASSIC.MSN.COM)
Date: Sun Nov 09 1997 - 09:21:22 PST

Allen:
        ********SPOILER RESPONSE********

Having read too much Freud, here was my take on Carmen's interaction with the
smart bug...there was the female element yes...but that probe hmmm well it
seems awfully phallic to me. As if the being had the anatomy of both
genders...a kind of hermaphrodite if you will. Carmen castrates the being
thus leaving only as female. As a female now...it is no longer threatening
and can be destroyed by the macho men.
        Insects (notice the recurring fear element of insects in sci-fi) Aliens,
Mimic, this movie, Naked lunch,...im drawing a blank now...but I think part of
the fear of insects comes from the fact that they (how about even in Temple of
Doom...with the cave filled with bugs which leave Kate Capshaw screaming) oh
and there is Arachnaphobia...are so elusive...and everywhere. If you see one
cockroach you're in trouble say the experts, but insects are then upon you
before you know. ALso bugs multiply so rapidly, and because their life span
is so short, they can adapt to anything humans throw at them. Remember the
only thing left after a nuclear war, may very well be insects. (You know what
I thought dumb about the scene where they were on Planet P or whatever that
place was called? The insects were EVERYWHERE. THeir defences were far
superior, they bounced back like nothing...and the guy says "Nuke em." I
thought why are these people running around if they are using nukes...but I
guess that might just be a saying huh?
        About the fort...I thought that fort was started by the Mormons? I thought
they said that they were told not to build the fort, but they did and were
slaughtered. It was called Fort smith or something like that. Maybe it was
military after the fact, but I understood it to be a fort built by religious
separatists, then after they were killed, the military used it because they
didn't have time to build anything better. Am I wrong?
Julien