Re: [*FSFFU*] Starship Troopers

From: Stephen Smith (jrfss@CLASSIC.MSN.COM)
Date: Sun Nov 09 1997 - 09:08:00 PST

True true...after I wrote that I thought Hmm Girl means something much
different than woman...but that's not even common parlance is it? "I'm your
woman?" That sounds more like a come on or something.
        I think you were the one who commented on the clothing bit. Thank you for
your reactions. I wrote that to see what sort of bees I could stir
up...actually I think it was Brownmiller who wrote about the dynamics of women
and rape. She states that the very nature of BIOLOGy can be blamed for how
women are objectified ( i would say or made inferior in most cultures) Men
have a "weapon" with which to instill fear, women are largely biologically
powerless. I found that argument interesting esp in light of the Brian
DePalma movie "Casulties of War." ANother critic I read said that men see
nakedness as powerful and freeing...it allows them to escape cultural
conventions. WOmen on the other hand understand the Nakedness metaphor much
differently...they cannot see it as powerful, for nakedness leads to exposure
and danger. That would naturally lead us to a discussion on women and the
body...which I won't go intol
 I DO agree that women are objectified before they even get dressed, but what
can be done in a society that objectifies you...then can you really dress the
way you want...I don't mean to stir anyone up...and perhaps this is a circular
argument. Well if women were not objectified...then women could dress...but in
order to not be objectified...AHHHHH! Forget it...no one wins with this one.
ANyone for going back to square one and convincing that little fish to not
breathe air? ;{
Julien