Re: [*FSFFU*] Tie In Novels: The End of SF or the World as We Know It?

From: Becca Stoler (rstoler@MAILHOST.TCS.TULANE.EDU)
Date: Sun Nov 09 1997 - 11:18:15 PST

On a whole, you are correct... however.... There were womyn, other than
school mistresses that did have jobs. It was by no means a common practice,
but womyn ran/owned shops, were seamstresses, cooks, maids, household
servants, they worked in debtors prisons and orphanages, in short, womyn did
indeed have jobs. If I remember the statistics right, something like 38
percent of womyn in 19th century England held jobs. The upper class (where
Dickinson was), had a much lower percentage. Something around 6.5 percent,
but still, it was possible. In the United States, the numbers were even
higher. Emily Dickinson even held a job on her one for a while. If memory
serves, she worked in a ladies dress shop. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Becca

Dreams Are Born In The Heart And Mind, And Only There Can They Ever Die
remember Narnia, wonderland, MiddleEarth, and Never Never Land, and you
shall truly never die.
Peace Be With Thee and Blessed Be