Re: [*FSFFU*] Star Trek Women (was Re: Starship Troopers)

From: Rudy Leon (releon@SYR.EDU)
Date: Mon Nov 10 1997 - 07:17:46 PST

I was planning on posting something on this, but hadn't gotten around to it.
TV Guide has really just stepped on my nerves! Dax and Seven-of-Nine have
been singled out as the new "women of Star Trek", women who demand to be
taken seriously, who can hold their own, who aren't caregivers and nurturers,
but warriors and scientists and kick-a#@ babes. Which is all true, and great
even, except that Dax and Seven are both not entirely themselves... They
have
both been altered in some way to make them the super-folks that they are.
Kira
(on DS9) and Bellana (V) and the Captain (who all of a sudden is saying
she's a
*long-time* feminist, while I *distinctly * remember an I'm not a feminist,
but...
being attributed to her when Voyager debuted--feminism must be getting trendy
again!) are all 100% themselves (shying away from *natural*, can't say
*human*
either, but I hope you know what I mean).

So, the question is, why are Cyborgs and hybrids so sexy? Plain old fully
B'joran
warrior mothers don't cut it anymore? Half Klingon warrior engineers? And,
which is probably a good thing, there is no mentionat all of Kes, that
infantalized
pouty caregiving mixture of Troi and Crusher and any nurse on the original
series,
who has so sadly left Voyager...

I guess I'm waxing inarticulate, but I'm kind of annoyed right now. What a
way to start a Monday...

At 08:40 AM 11/10/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Just as a side-note. TV Guide has two "Collectors' Covers" this
>week. One with Dax, and another with the Borg person on Voyager (I
>think--didn't look too closely, but I didn't recognize her and I
>don't get Voyager locally unless I bug someone who has a DSS).
>
>I usually watch under 1hr of TV/week, but I picked up one of the
>guides to see what they have to say.
>
>-allen
>
>--
> Allen Briggs - end killing - briggs@macbsd.com