Re: [*FSFFU*] Starship Troopers

From: Martha Bartter (mbartter@TRUMAN.EDU)
Date: Mon Nov 10 1997 - 07:59:54 PST

At 05:21 11/10/97 -0800, you wrote:
>At 05:01 10-11-97 UT, Stephen Smith wrote:
>> The only thing that I know about Heinlein is that he wrote
>"Stranger in a
>>Strange Land." I believe that the book was banned or under heavy
controversy
>>for awhile, and was just reissued several years back. DO you know anything
>>about this book? Just curious.
>>Julien

_Stranger in a Strange Land_ raised some eyebrows when first printed, but
the big controversy accumulated about the Manson group after their
killing spree -- turned out that they used the book as a kind of bible.
Some opined then that Heinlein should never have written it, though it
seems like a bad idea to hold an author responsible for the misuse of his
text by an impressionable group led by a nut case.

Nothing in _Stranger_ could reasonably be read as an incitement to casual
murder, though there is a lot of rather gratuitous sex in it.

>Robert Heinlein was probably a conservative, Ayn Rand Libertarian. The
>anti-gun control and various right wing types quote him frequently. I'm not
>into *any* politics so this is just a point of interest. Do a search from
>www.excite.com on "Robert Heinlein Libertarian" to display several
>references that seem to confirm that association. He's definitely their
>poster child. Pity.
>
>Cary
>~~~~~~~~
>http://www.mindspring.com/~faraday/ (my Art Gallery--18,833 hits Oct'97)