Re: [*FSFFU*] Star Trek Women

From: Cathy Deluca (deluca@pcrm.org)
Date: Mon Nov 10 1997 - 08:09:00 PST

I would first like to say that I have been a Star Trek fan for years, and I
love the issues that Star Trek has been willing to explore (gender, human
rights, sexuality, etc.)

But...
While the current TV Guide article featuring Dax and Seven of Nine is
intended to applaud Star Trek for finally featuring strong women, it
actually masks the objectification of these women and the embodiment of
unrealistic standards of beauty. It is no coincidence that these very
popular characters are white, young, tall, and extremely thin. So while it
is wonderful that Star Trek has several strong female characters, it is not
surprising that they don't look like you and me. In this respect, Star
Trek is no different than any other current tv program in which the female
characters look like they haven't eaten in weeks.

In particular, Seven of Nine, Voyager's newest character, is clothed in the
tightest full-body suit that I've ever seen - not to mention the 4 inch
heels. Not exactly my picture of a strong, liberated woman. Even when she
was a Borg, her costume made sure to emphasize her large breasts and
buttocks. And the female Borg in the Star Trek movie "First Contact" was
also heavily sexualized. I haven't noticed any "buff" male Borg characters
to date.

I encourage everyone to write Paramount and share your feelings about the
portrayal of the female characters on Voyager and all of the Star Trek
series.

The address is:
Paramount Television
5555 Melrose Avenue