Re: [*FSFFU*] Star Trek Women

From: Laura Wigod (laura@OAKRIDGE.COM)
Date: Wed Nov 12 1997 - 09:45:46 PST

Cheers to all of you who support the idea of a strong and intelligent woman
coming in a sexy package!

I myself (although I am certainly no 7 of 9) am a tall, busty, pretty
blonde who gets sick of having to cover my body just to avoid dealing with
the kind of prejudice I'm seeing displayed on this list (on this topic).

On the other hand, if I meet someone during a period of my life where I'm
dressing attractively and doing my hair and wearing some make-up, I
inevitably get to hear about how SURPRISED the person is to discover I have
strength and intelligence. It's very tiresome. (Which is why I only have
periods of my life when I choose to put in this effort. Not that it stops
the constant commentary from people who feel it's completely appropriate to
be discussing my breast size. And women are WAY worse than men on this
topic!)

I'm sick of women's sexuality being either stifled or defined by one narrow
view of what a woman's sexuality entails. It's like our entire culture is
inflicted with a Madonna/Whore Complex. That is, if a woman chooses to
display her beauty/sexuality, she's free game for criticism, even by FELLOW
WOMEN! What's so scary about our sexuality?

And, for the record, although I no longer wear high heeels (except maybe
when I go "in drag" to the company Christmas party or something), when I
did wear them, I was perfectly capable of running in them - even
four-inchers! In fact, I wore high heels throughout my entire pregnancy.
And I never experienced any pain or discomfort.

On the other hand, when I see a woman running after whoever in heels, I'm
the first to laugh!

As for Seven of Nine......SIGH. I find her VERY attractive! So attractive,
in fact, that, after having already bought a copy of TV Guide with Dax on
the cover, and then receiving an identical copy in the mail 'cuz my
subscription suddenly kicked in, I STILL went out and bought the cover with
Seven of Nine on it! (Wish I could manage her hairdo!) I can't WAIT for the
dyke subplot to kick in, although I'm disappointed to hear that the
storyline may revolve around some kind of "experimentation." I want her to
choose to be with women because we're so damn wonderful! :-)

And I still want to hear what one poster meant by "delayed adolescence."
(grumble grumble)

Laura