Re: [*FSFFU*] Heinlein & Starship Troopers

From: Jeanine Pedersen (Jeanine99@AOL.COM)
Date: Mon Nov 10 1997 - 12:07:50 PST

palwick@SCS.UNR.EDU said... I read a fascinating review by someone who said
that the problem with the film is that in fact it doesn't have the courage
of the book's fascist convictions, that the book focussed on the brutality
of the military training rather than showing it as a co-ed summer camp,
and that by doing so it made disturbing but undismissable points about the
efficacy of certain kinds of cruelty...

I am assuming the writer is speaking of Starship Troopers here -- it wasn't
completely clear to me -- if so, Heinlein was hardly a fascist, but really
very enamored of the Spartan tradition. "Fascist conviction" packs a strong
emotional message that really, when speaking of Heinlein's work, is
inaccurrate and unfair. If I mis-read the post, my apologies.