Re: [*FSFFU*] Starship Troopers

From: Susan Palwick (palwick@SCS.UNR.EDU)
Date: Mon Nov 10 1997 - 12:59:13 PST

On Mon, 10 Nov 1997, Neil Rest wrote:

> Please -- let's not get into the "Heinlein was a fascist" nonsense.
> _Starship Troopers_ is a novel of political philosophy set against the
> background of a war. Without assertin geither that it was "right" or that
> it was "wrong", I aver that dismissing it thoughtlessly is thoughtless.
>
> And this is the first I'd heard that _The Forever War_ and "Ender's Game"
> were responses to _Starship Troopers_. Where did you learn this?
>

> Neil Rest
> NeilRest@tezcat.com

I didn't say it: the reviewer did. And he didn't say that Heinlein was a
fascist, merely that the book's philosophy was. And his whole point was
that the philosophy in the book was sufficiently rigorous that he
*couldn't* dismiss it thoughtlessly . . . as, evidently, could neither
Haldeman nor Card (I believe I've heard this from both of them personally,
at various workshops, but if not, then I've read it in interviews with
them). He was complaining that the movie *could* be dismissed
thoughtlessly, and that made him unhappy.

Sorry if I didn't make clear which ideas were mine and which were his, but
don't shoot the messenger, okay? :)

Peace,

SP