Re: [*FSFFU*] Star Trek Women- 7 of 9

From: Enoch's Vision (CaryEnochR@ENOCHSVISION.COM)
Date: Mon Nov 10 1997 - 18:01:14 PST

At 16:49 10-11-97 -0700, Michelle Bernard wrote:
>Okay, since no one has said anything, first I'll introduce myself (if I
>have to) and then (I hate to argue on a first post...) get to my point.
> My name is misha, I like to read (and watch, but that is much
rarer) SF
>esp feminist stuff which I discovered (officially) in various courses at
>university. Currently I'm working (grad sch is expensive) but
>eventually I want to become a horrid academician and I'm sure SF and
>gender will fit in there somewhere, even if I force the square peg into
>the round hole.
> My comment, on Cary's (excerpted below): I don't think that having a
>queer character on StarTrek would be catering to a special interest
>group any more than, say, having blonde women would be. Since a
>documented portion of the current population is queer (and most SF
>reflects current populations and their issues- hopefully!), it would be
>considerate or expected to have a segment reflected in the character
>make-up.
> This leads into my next comment. Why can't a lesbian (strong or
weak)
>woman character serve as a role model for the widest possible audience?
>She would still be a woman? I would rather see ANY good female
>characters than become picky over to me irrelevant aspects of them.
>Should queer viewers of ST complain because they have no role models on
>the show... if a queer character apparently cannot serve as a role model
>"for the widest possible audience?"
> I don't mean to attack Cary, and I feel that is what I am doing,
>unfortunately. I just want to question the assumption that somehow
>women devolve into their sexuality and that precludes them being
>"strong."

Don't worry, I think your criticism is well-taken and well-expressed. I
shot from the hip without really thinking about what I appeared to be
saying. What I meant to say was that Star Trek has not done very well so
far in terms of women role models. I hope that they will consider a role
model that the widest number of people can identify with. I meant no
disrespect of any group whatsoever. After I read the Press Release that my
Microserf friend sent me, I got the impression that ST:V was responding to
pressure from a particular group. I am probably incorrect.

I work at the "Evil Empire" in Redmond myself but I'm on a one-year
leave-of-absence now and probably won't return anyway.

In the book I'm writing now--my first fiction about 30 droll technical
manuals--the alien heroine loves to make fun of Star Trek and aliens in the
media in general. She pokes sarcastic fun at almost all earth
entertainment. Those parts are easy to write because Star Trek is such a
big, easy target. In spite of that, I've never missed any episode of any of
their versions and do like it. Kira, the Bajoran freedom fighter, is the
one who appeals to me the most. She also seems less two-dimensional than
most of the other characters. Ideally, it should not matter what gender,
orientation, race, or age any character is.

Anyway, thanks for calling me on what I said. Next time I *will* have that
morning coffee before I put my foot in my mouth <g>.

Cary
~~~~~~~~
http://www.mindspring.com/~faraday/ (my Art Gallery--18,833 hits Oct'97)
http://www.monalatte.com/ (my sci-fantasy novel novel in progress)