Re: [*FSFFU*] Star Trek Women & Starship Troopers

From: Enoch's Vision (CaryEnochR@ENOCHSVISION.COM)
Date: Mon Nov 10 1997 - 18:14:55 PST

At 16:23 10-11-97 -0800, Peggy Hamilton wrote:
>Enoch's Vision wrote:
>> Dax was the worst example that TVGuide could have given. I like her but
>> that is probably just visceral and shallow of me. However, she is male in
>> gender, or perhaps 'mental sex' is a better phrase. She is very nearly a
>> satire. Captain Sisko still addresses her as "Old Man" to remind us of her
>> nature. Is the message that a woman has to be guided by an internal and
>> worldly wise male to be truly strong? Or is she a parody, mixed message, or
>> simply a badly-conceived character?
>
>How about that sex is a function of the body you are currently
>inhabiting, and that percieved "gendered" behaviors are cultural
>add-ons.

I agree with that definition. Sex and gender don't always coincide. Sex is
defined in biological terms primarily while gender is often defined in
social and other behavioral terms. Jazdia Dax is wonderfully archetypal in
a sense because she illustrates that we all contain elements of both
genders. It would be really interesting to write a Jungian-type essay about
her.

The Dax part of Jadzia Dax has been both male and female. She
>refers to having given birth and raising children in past "lives" as
>well as the military background that is more relevant to her current
>job.
>As for her "mental sex" being male, I cannot remember any behavior that
>I might not have done myself in similar situations. Does that make my
>"brain sex" male, even though I am most definitely ans happily Female?

No more than my having raised my two kids to adulthood by myself made me
female just because I was the primary nurturer in their lives. That's just
how circumstances worked out. Though I will admit that being called Mr. Mom
by my kids' teachers did get on my nerves after the umpteen-thousandth
time! I didn't see myself as a cariacature or anything unusual. It was,
however, very quaint to some of them.

Cary
~~~~~~~~
http://www.mindspring.com/~faraday/ (my Art Gallery--18,833 hits Oct'97)