Re: [*FSFFU*] Star Trek Women / Seven of Nine

From: Barbara Benesch (BJBenesch@AOL.COM)
Date: Mon Nov 10 1997 - 21:47:10 PST

In a message dated 97-11-10 23:48:31 EST, Janice Dawley wrote:

Regarding "Seven of Nine" on _Star_Trek:_Voyager_"

<snip>
> I think her clothing is fine, except for the high heels, which don't
> fit it in at all with Seven's practical nature. However, I am bothered by
> the fact that so many viewers of the show have fixated on her breast size,
> rather than her character. I do think that the responsibility for this
lies
> on both sides: the producers of Voyager wanted Seven to be perceived as a
> "babe", perhaps to compensate for her "cold" persona, so they dressed her
> in an outfit that would make the audience very aware of the body
underneath
> her clothes. However, all the guys I've heard (particularly on Usenet)
> leering and/or sneering at Seven and the actress who plays her because of
> her outfit are still being jerks.
<snip>

> -- Janice

Thanks to my media addiction, I read an interview with the actress who plays
Seven and there was some comment from the producers of ST:V included in the
interview. The actress seemed like a decent sort, but ST:V comes on at an
impossible time for me so I haven't been following it too closely. However,
according to the producers, a large part of the reason for the addition of
Seven to the cast at all, and also the reason for her outfit is because they
wanted to "spice up the show". Which is also why they'd been playing with a
romantic storyline between Torres and Paris (which I personally found
nauseating, but that's me).

I don't know enough about the show to feel comfortable commenting much
further, but I thought I'd at least pass on that information.

Barbara Benesch
BJBenesch@aol.com