[*FSFFU*] Nichelle Nichols

From: Pat (mathews@UNM.EDU)
Date: Mon Nov 10 1997 - 22:44:42 PST

On Mon, 10 Nov 1997, Freddie Baer wrote:

> >>There's a famous anecdote (which I may have blurred the details of)
> that
> Nichelle Nicolls (sp?!) was not real happy with Lt. Ohura, but Dr.
> King convinced her to stay with the show, since she was a role model
> of a reaponsible, respected black woman in the future.
> One of the people who might not have has the same career without that
> inspiration is Woopie Goldberg<<
>
> Hell, the first black woman astronaut, Mae Jamison (sp?) credits Lt.
> Uhura as being her inspiration.

        I heard that when the Challenger exploded she felt very bad
because one of the people whe recruited was on board.
        Also that NASA wanted her so they could dispel the up-till-then
quite accurate impression that the astronaut corps was a white man's club.
        Viva Uhura!

Patricia (Pat) Mathews
mathews @unm.edu