Re: [*FSFFU*] Sales and choices

From: Maryelizabeth Hart (mystgalaxy@AX.COM)
Date: Tue Nov 11 1997 - 08:59:28 PST

Debra commented, in part:

>Re The Moon and the Sun:
>
>Congratulations on the great reviews and notice. I'm looking forward
>to reading it when it comes out in paperback (Like a lot of people, I
>hate to buy hardbacks unless they're $14 at Costco).

Okay, I'll declare that I'm biased from the get go, but...

I was surprised to interpret this as Debra advocating purchasing books at
non-book warehouses. This seems to be directly in contradiction to her
concerns about wanting to promote growth of non-media SF. Frankly, Debra,
even if you wanted to, I don't believe you COULD buy _The Moon and the Sun_
at Costco or your local equivelant. However, it's likely you can pick up
the new Timothy Zahn Star Wars novel.

If determining what books get published is about dollars, shouldn't we be
making an effort to put our money where our philosophies are? To me, this
means buying the kinds of books we say we want to see more of, and doing so
at the kinds of stores that make them available.

And, heck, while we're at it, why don't we all just agree to make all our
purchases from my store. ;) Okay, self-interest aside, I think we need a
number of sources for all sorts of SF: mainstream, small press, media
tie-in, magic realism, whatever. And I think this means supporting the
sources that offer them.

My $.02.

Maryelizabeth
Mysterious Galaxy 619-268-4747