Re: [*FSFFU*] Starship Troopers

From: Pat York (pyork@localnet.com)
Date: Tue Nov 11 1997 - 18:40:36 PST

Tonya Browning wrote:

> Since no one's really mentioned it, I want to note that one of the (many)
> things that really bothered me about the film Starship Troopers was the
> portrayal of people of color. If you're black in this movie, you either
> quit boot camp, get your arm fried off so a white boy can gladly take your
> command, or fall on a bomb to help save aforementioned white boy.

I feel compelled to point out that the Supreme Commander who pulls the
Fed's fat out of the fire is a black woman, and a black woman survives
with Rico and Carmen at the end. I didn't do a body count, but there
were lots and lots of white folks who fried too. And did you think Diz
was all that white? She looked less white than Rico and Carmen at any
rate.

Oy, this give me a headache. My Mexican relatives run the gamut from
very Aztec-looking to very German-looking, and they're all in the same
family.