Re: [*FSFFU*] Starship Troopers

From: Tonya Browning (tonyab@MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU)
Date: Tue Nov 11 1997 - 10:24:50 PST

Since no one's really mentioned it, I want to note that one of the (many)
things that really bothered me about the film Starship Troopers was the
portrayal of people of color. If you're black in this movie, you either
quit boot camp, get your arm fried off so a white boy can gladly take your
command, or fall on a bomb to help save aforementioned white boy. If
you're Asian or Hispanic, you're basically backdrop and if you're from
Buenos Aires (like the four major characters in the film), you're white.
I'm sick of extrapolated films that still believe the world will be white
three hundred years from now (which isn't true of our present world).
Sorry if this sounds like a rant, I'm just tired of these kind of
"oversights." At least I got to watch a preview of a new Chow-Yun Fat
movie before ST.

tonya