Re: [*FSFFU*] Starship Troopers

From: Pat (mathews@UNM.EDU)
Date: Tue Nov 11 1997 - 14:10:10 PST

On Tue, 11 Nov 1997, Tonya Browning wrote:

> Since no one's really mentioned it, I want to note that one of the (many)
> things that really bothered me about the film Starship Troopers was the
> portrayal of people of color.

        Which is really false to Heinlein's vision!!!

  If you're black in this movie, you either quit boot camp,

        Which recruit was this? Not Breckenridge, I hope! (In the book)

 get your arm fried off so a white boy can gladly take your
> command, or fall on a bomb to help save aforementioned white boy.

        I remember Johnny taking command when someone was killed, I forget
from whom. (In the book).

 If
> you're Asian or Hispanic, you're basically backdrop

        WHAT?!?!?!? Johnny, Carmen, Dizzy etc were most specifically Hispanic.

and if you're from
> Buenos Aires (like the four major characters in the film), you're white.

        Unca' Bob isn't whirling in his grave. He's throwing up.

        The director's European. What can I say? !@#$%^&*()_+_)CENSORED< BLEEP.

> Sorry if this sounds like a rant, I'm just tired of these kind of
> "oversights."

        You, me, and the Heinleins. The book made a POINT out of the totally
multicultural MI!!!

  At least I got to watch a preview of a new Chow-Yun Fat
> movie before ST.
>
> tonya

Patricia (Pat) Mathews
mathews@unm.edu