Re: [*FSFFU*] Starship Troopers

From: Pat (mathews@UNM.EDU)
Date: Tue Nov 11 1997 - 20:12:46 PST

I just listed every character in Heinlein's book and learned several
things:
        1) He never said whether anyone was black or white.
        2) The most prominent nationality was Hispanic - Johnnie,
Carmen, Dizzy, Major Rojas (who Carmen was to report to -also referred to
as "Miss Rojas"), Johnnie's father Emilio - Aunt eleanora was Argentinian
so presumably Johnnie's mother was, too - Bennie Montez, and Lts Do Campo
& Cunha, Lt. Silva, and Navarre.
        3) Asian - Sgt Ho, who recruited Johnnie & co; recruit
Shujumi, son of Colonel Shujumi; Capt Chandar (?), Clyde Tammany, 2nd Lt
Sukarno, Capt Chang.
        4) Middle Easterners: Sgt "Jelly Jelal," Turkish. Cadet
"Sally" Saloman. Hassan "The Assassin", who took a cut in rank to go to
OCS. Lt Abe Moishe.
        5) Native American: Cadet Bearpaw.
        6) Dead that we know of: Dizzy Flores (on the ground),
Kitten Smith (never got out of the tube), Al Jenkins, Lt. Rasczak, PfC
Dutch Bamberger, cadet Byrd; many others.
        Under Miscellaneous is Sgt Migliaccio, who is also a Catholic
priest; Navy Captain Yvette Deladrier - possibly French. Lt. Colonel Jean
V. DuBois "prissy, scornful, a dancing-master type, not one of us apes" -
is certainly French by culture as well as surname. Major Xera - sounds
Bajoran if you ask me. 2nd Lt. N'Gam - no idea what nationality that is.

        The lack of inclusiveness was due to our beloved Dutch director,
not Heinlein!

Patricia (Pat) Mathews
mathews @unm.edu
        Obsessive-compulsive? Who, mE?