Re: [*FSFFU*] Starship Troopers

From: Allen Briggs (briggs@PUMA.MACBSD.COM)
Date: Tue Nov 11 1997 - 11:29:00 PST

> Since no one's really mentioned it,
> portrayal of people of color.

That's an interesting point. As a white male, I didn't notice it and
thinking back, don't remember the colors of the people. Moving Rico,
Carl, and Carmencita to Buenos Aires was a movie change, BTW, from the
book. I think they were from North America in the book, but the
political boundaries of Earth is unclear (and immaterial) in the book.
There is talk of an Russo-Anglo-American Alliance war with the Chinese
Hegemony. That got a little chuckle out of me...

I don't recall a single thing about race in the book. There is some
talk about people from other planets having some different physical
characteristics, but nothing about different Earth races. One could
argue that full-integration was assumed, or that all-caucasian was
assumed. I don't believe it was an issue. The more I think about it
(and my wife actually put it into words), the novel aspect of the novel
is there primarily as a vehicle to illustrate the author's convictions.

> At least I got to watch a preview of a new Chow-Yun Fat movie before ST.

We got that one, too.
All Asians are butt-kicking martial artists or shopkeepers, right? ;-)

Neil: A lot of the effect of the book was lost for me in the movie,
but I don't know what others would have thought.

-allen

--
              Allen Briggs - end killing - briggs@macbsd.com