Re: [*FSFFU*] Starship Troopers

From: Stephen Smith (jrfss@CLASSIC.MSN.COM)
Date: Wed Nov 12 1997 - 18:49:20 PST

Although I agree with the auteur theory of filmmaking (that the filmmaker puts
his/her undeniable stamp upon a film, like an author of a book) I do not
believe that all of this blame should be heaped upon Verhoeven's shoulders.
What about the scriptwriter? Didn't s/he adapt the script to film? We must
also realize that in many cases...the director may not even be familiar with
the original product. I have read of actors who read the original book for
better character motivation, and the director or whatever powers that be step
in and say "Hey snap out of it...this is a different script with different
motivation."
Julien