Re: [*FSFFU*] Star Trek Women / Seven of Nine

From: Barbara Benesch (BJBenesch@AOL.COM)
Date: Wed Nov 12 1997 - 21:15:37 PST

In a message dated 97-11-12 12:23:56 EST, Maryelizabeth Hart wrote:

> >Barbara Benesch said:
> >I agree that a long, flowing outfit would not work for most of the work
> that
> >goes on on a starship, but something a bit less tight, and including a
few
> >pockets would seem to me to be far more practical. What, for instance,
is
> >she supposed to do if in the course of working on something she removes
the
> >Star Trek equivalent of a bolt and doesn't want it rolling away?
>
> Well, isn't that something of a problem with all the ST costumes? I
confess
> I've given up watching over the past few years, but aren't they all only
> functional *looking*, but actually require another person's assistance for
> things like getting out of them to use the facilities?

You're right. Picking on the pockets thing (I'm a big fan of pockets, and
ouch, pardon my pun), the only pockets I've seen that I can think of off the
top of my head is when Dr. Crusher was wearing that blue sweater with the two
pockets in it. But she mostly just kept her hands in those.

As far as requiring another person's assistance for removing them, isn't that
what transporters are for? (No, I'm kidding, really.) Seriously, some of
them aren't too bad, but the first season of STTNG, those one-piece outfits
didn't look at all fun. Also, on DS9 Kira's "uniform" looks like two pieces,
but it is apparently a one-piece outfit with a jacket over it. For the life
of me I can't figure out how she gets in and out of that one.

So, Maryelizabeth, you're right, it's not just Seven of Nine.

Barbara Benesch
BJBenesch@aol.com