Re: [*FSFFU*] Species traitor (SciFi Books to Hollywood Movies)

From: Lindy S. L. Lovvik (laorka@Best.com)
Date: Thu Nov 13 1997 - 15:24:46 PST

Jennifer Krauel wrote:

[snip]

> Anyway my purpose in writing is to ask all of you what feminist sf story
> should be made into a movie, if Stormship Troopers is such a bad
> example. Be fair and pick something that actually might have a chance
> of making it through hollywood.

[snip]

Three immediately came to mind:

_Welcome, Chaos_ by Kate Wilhelm. It has aspects of mystery, intrigue,
romance/sex, choices, a change in world order and an interesting woman
in the center of it all who is not in her early adulthood.

_The Word for World is Forest_ by Ursula K. LeGuin. I think that there
is adequate technology to make the characters live on film. Would
appeal to SciFi interest as well as ecological interests. It would
be nice to see a movie where the aliens weren't the bad guys. There's
enough killing to satisfy the gore seekers, but not so much that
someone like me would feel compelled to leave the theatre because
I couldn't keep my eyes and ears covered that long.

_Woman on the Edge of Time_. Not mainstream, maybe. . .how about
as a "chick-flick?" I'd love to see a decent version of this in
film.

> How about perhaps Dreamsnake?

Oh yeah!! It's a great story and completely do-able. I sure
would like to see a human with a disability in a movie without
it being *all* about that disability. Just a character who is
part of the story.

Besides, I just love a woman with serpants. >:D

Lindy

--
"Just the knowledge that a good book is awaiting one at the end
 of a long day makes that day happier."  --Kathleen Norris