Re: [*FSFFU*] evil sexy villainesses

From: DAVID CHRISTENSON (LDQT79A@PRODIGY.COM)
Date: Thu Nov 13 1997 - 18:23:53 PST

-- [ From: David Christenson * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

> On the Borg Queen: could it be that she uses sex because she knows
that that is
> the human male's weakness (which would have been built into the
emotion chip
> Data has)? Since assimilation is the primary objective of the Borg,
wouldn't
> they have a sexualized borg, queen or drone, that would be used to
seduce those
> who resist?

I agree it was a decision based on "that would be cool." Why would the
Borg need a queen for any other purpose? Not for the breeding/genetic
reasons that bees need queens. Bee colonies are heirarchical and
isolationist; Borg are collectively organized and, for lack of a better
term, interstitial. And it didn't make sense for them to centralize
control of their consciousness in one being - it made them more
vulnerable. (Does the Internet need Bill Gates?)

Seems to me the queen was a means of introducing a character who could
"seduce" Data, which was the thrust of the plot. And of course that
character had to be female, so that the creators could fall back on a
titillating stereotype. There's no reason why a male or a neuter Borg
couldn't have done the same things to Data as the queen did. But the
unenlightened 12-year-old boys in the audience wouldn't go for that...
Funny how Data never explored his options re sexual preference early on.
..

Speaking as a former beekeeper...

--
David Christenson - ldqt79a@prodigy.com

"We live in Gothic times." - Angela Carter -- David Christenson - ldqt79a@prodigy.com

"We live in Gothic times." - Angela Carter