Re: [*FSFFU*] Pam Keesey and _Vamps_

From: Maryelizabeth Hart (mystgalaxy@AX.COM)
Date: Fri Nov 14 1997 - 08:43:14 PST

David commented:

>I believe it was due out in October, so it should be available by now,
>though I haven't seen it yet (?)
There may have been an earlier release date (and October would have made
lots of sense) but according to the pr materials that came with my preview
copy, it's a Jan 1998 release, in stores Dec. 15.

>In any case, Keesey is editor of "Women Who Run With the Werewolves" and
>a book of lesbian vampire stories
Two, actually. _Daughters of Darkness_, (already mentioned by someone other
than me) and _Dark Angels_.

> She has a
>well-thought-out theory of the vamp figure in popular culture, with
>plenty of supporting evidence from her research, so "Vamps" should be
>much more substantial than your average movie-still book. (I've heard
>her talk on this subject twice, at the Minneapolis cons Diversicon and
>Arcana.) She's a terrific person, and I'm looking forward to this book.

Brief preview via chapter titles:

Intro: Good Girls and Bad
    1: "Good Evening, I am ... Vampira."
    2: The Goddess in Every Vampire
    3: "All Wickedness is but Little to the Wickedness of a Woman."
    4: The Rise of the Modern Vampire
    5: The Romantic Agony: 19th Century Images of the Fatal Woman
    6: Theda Bara: Face of a Vampire, Heart of a Feminist
    7: Sirens of the Silver Screen
    8: "Cinderella in a Nightmare": The Allure of the Female Vampire
    9: "She Gives You that Wierd Feeling": The Golden Age of Lesbian Vampires
   10: That's No Lady, That's Sharon Stone
   11: Vamps and Vampires: The Nineties and Beyond
   12: In Praise of Wicked Women

All typos mine...

Maryelizabeth
Mysterious Galaxy 619-268-4747