[*FSFFU*] looking for recommendations for course

From: Keri Stone (Dinnally@AOL.COM)
Date: Fri Nov 14 1997 - 09:02:36 PST

Hi,

One of my collegues has asked me for some recommendations for his class next
semester. I teach in a private high school (the students are fairly
sophisticated readers). He is interested in novels, short stories and essays
by women I know that they currently read Gibson and Stephenson and some
other cyberpunk novels, and he is disturbed because he does not have any
female authors. Although I read a ton of sci-fi, I mostly stay away from
cyberpunk so I wasn't sure what to recommend. I guess it doesn't have to be
cyberpunk, but it should cretainly focus on technology of the future. I
already suggested Melissa Scott and Raphael Carter's Fortunate Fall. I wasn't
positive which Melissa Scott would be a good recommedation. Below is a
description of his class in case you can think of any good fits. Any
suggestions about any authors, particularly feminist ones, would be
appreciated.

Thanks Keri
PS: I'm sorry if there have been recent posts on this subject already and
would appreciate anyone sending me a summary privately.

Media and Millennium is a new course that explores a variety of futurist
scenarios created by leading storytellers of our time. Readings will include
a series of science fiction novels, short stories and essays by prominent
writers, scientists and philosophers that explore the impact of technology on
our lives beyond the year 2000. The class will also screen a variety of films
set in the future and explore the themes they raise. The course will
emphasize the role technology plays in shaping these future realities and how
it might change or challenge present day boundaries between man and machine.
Students will use digital technologies to create a variety of multi-media
essays including an internal web site run off the school's CABBS server to
document their exploration of the third millennium.