Re: [*FSFFU*] looking for recommendations for course

From: Neil Rest (NeilRest@TEZCAT.COM)
Date: Fri Nov 14 1997 - 11:36:02 PST

>One of my collegues has asked me for some recommendations for his class next
>semester. I teach in a private high school (the students are fairly
>sophisticated readers). He is interested in novels, short stories and essays
>by women I know that they currently read Gibson and Stephenson and some
>other cyberpunk novels, and he is disturbed because he does not have any
>female authors. Although I read a ton of sci-fi, I mostly stay away from
>cyberpunk so I wasn't sure what to recommend. I guess it doesn't have to be
>cyberpunk, but it should cretainly focus on technology of the future. I
>already suggested Melissa Scott and Raphael Carter's Fortunate Fall. I wasn't
>positive which Melissa Scott would be a good recommedation. Below is a
>description of his class in case you can think of any good fits. Any
>suggestions about any authors, particularly feminist ones, would be
>appreciated.

Your first problem is that things go in and out of print almost hourly.
I've known of sf classes which had 100% turnover in the reading list from
one semester to the next.

A somewhat recent title you may like is Linda Nagata's _The Bohr Maker_.
I'm sure the listmembers here will give you plenty of other suggestions.

Also, look around on the net. I can't point to it directly, but someone
does a periodical survey naming the "100 best" sf novels. I wouldn't
necessarily take it completely as gospel, but it's a very good starting place.

Also, see if you can find the lists of the Hugo *nominees* for the past
several years. The lists of nominees are likely to be a better guide to
the best than just the list of winners.

Have fun!
Neil Rest
NeilRest@tezcat.com