Re: [*FSFFU*] looking for recommendations for course

From: Vonda N. McIntyre (vonda@oz.net)
Date: Fri Nov 14 1997 - 13:38:06 PST

http://www.clark.net/pub/iz/Books/Top100/top100list.txt"
is the URL for the Internet Top 100 SF/Fantasy
List.

An amazing resource for sf information is
http://sflovers.rutgers.edu/Web/SFRG/
I would be amazed if it didn't include a list of
Hugo and Nebula nominees, or a link to such a
list.

A good resource for out of print books (especially
science fiction, though not limited to sf; the sf
bias occurred because I started the project and
most of the writers I know are sf writers) is
Basement Full of Books -- books available by mail
directly from their authors. It's got all sorts of
material available on it now, including the
audiotape for ALWAYS COMING HOME, via the
composer; but a majority of what's listed is
regular trade or mass-market books that the
writers have obtained when their publishers
whipped them out of print.

The URL is http://www.sff.net/bfob

(I used to send it out by email on request, but
it's way too long for that. Jeffry Dwight, bless
his heart, gave it a new home and automated its
updates. By the way, if you're a writer and you
have a basement full of extra books, I encourage
you to add your listing to the resource and link
to it from your web page -- it would be a courtesy
to link to the main page, the URL above, rather
than directly to your own listing, so folks going
to it would have the opportunity to browse the
author list. The project is very laid back; you
won't get rich from it -- or, if you do, could you
clue the rest of us in on how? -- but the price is
right; it's free.)

I can't speak for the other writers on the list --
each of us deals directly with book buyers, a
strategy I adopted so I would never have to handle
anyone else's money, but I would be delighted to
discuss a large discount for classes buying five
or more copies of one of my hardcovers, especially
Superluminal, which was published without
advertising, apparently on the theory that it
would leap to enormous success on the coattails of
Dreamsnake. (Comment from a bookstore owner soon
after Superluminal and one of my Star Trek books
were published: "So -- when are you going to write
another REAL book?")

Especially if you don't mind copies with very
slightly scuffed or bent dust jackets, I could
make you a Really Good Deal.

Something else to remember about BFoB is that if
there's something you want and you don't see it in
the writer's listing -- ask. Most of us have a few
copies of almost everything (not the first edition
of DREAMSNAKE, alas -- I wish).

I personally would be delighted to hear from
language teachers who'd like translations of sf
novels to foreign languages (especially French or
German). I could probably even be persuaded to
give them to a good cause.

Vonda

On Fri, 14 Nov 1997 13:36:02 -0600, Neil Rest
<NeilRest@TEZCAT.COM> wrote:

>Your first problem is that things go in and out of print almost hourly.
>I've known of sf classes which had 100% turnover in the reading list from
>one semester to the next.

http://www.sff.net/people/Vonda
The Moon and the Sun -- One of Publishers Weekly's
"Best Books of 1997"
http://www.bookwire.com/pw/bestbooks97.article$3946