[*FSFFU*] Bradbury--was Re: SF or not SF; Atwood; Inclusiveness/Heinlein

From: Michael Marc Levy (levymm@UWEC.EDU)
Date: Fri Nov 14 1997 - 22:14:12 PST

On Fri, 14 Nov 1997, Martha Bartter wrote:

> At 23:07 11/13/97 -0600, you wrote:
> >On Fri, 14 Nov 1997, Robin Reid wrote:
> >
> --snip--
> And Mike replied:
> >It seems to me that anyone who thinks that Ray Bradbury isn't a science
> >fiction or fantasy writer (not counting his mysteries and Irish stories)
> >shouldn't be allowed to give papers or write about him because they
> >obviously don't KNOW anything about him.
> >
> >Mike Levy
> >

> Mike: would you consider Ray Bradbury an ANTI-science fiction writer?
> I do.
>
> Martha Bartter
> Truman State University

Martha,

Yes, to the extent that he's highly suspicious of much science and yes to
the extent that he never was much interested in hard sf per se, but he's
still writing within the genre more often than not. A significant
percentage of what people like Pohl, Sheckley, Knight, and Leiber were doing
back in the 50s was anti-science in the first sense. A signficant percentage
of all sf is anti-science in the second sense.

Mike