Re: [*FSFFU*] German woman SF writers?

From: DAVID CHRISTENSON (LDQT79A@PRODIGY.COM)
Date: Sat Nov 15 1997 - 17:23:17 PST

-- [ From: David Christenson * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

Laura asks:

> Are people aware of female German SF writers, especially modern? And
is in
> fact Thea von Harbou, 1888-1954, German?

My World Encyclopedia of Film says she was born in Tauperlitz, Bavaria
in 1888 and died in Berlin in 1954. "Wrote best-selling novels,"
including "Das Indische Grabmal" which she worked with Fritz Lang to
adapt in 1919. Collaborated with Lang on all his films (including
Metropolis) from 1920 to his departure for Hollywood in 1933. Married
Lang in 1921, divorced 1934. Remained in Germany, directed two films in
1933 and 1934, worked on Nazi films. Wrote books and scripts after WWII.

Besides Metropolis, I find in my books one other reference to an SF book
by von Harbou: "The Rocket to the Moon," published by World in 1930
(surely a reprint edition of another hardcover), and reprinted as late
as 1977 by Gregg (in paperback?). Perhaps there are others.

--
David Christenson - ldqt79a@prodigy.com

"We live in Gothic times." - Angela Carter