Re: [*FSFFU*] Feminist SF to make into film

From: Pat (mathews@UNM.EDU)
Date: Sun Nov 16 1997 - 20:10:16 PST

On Fri, 14 Nov 1997, Freddie Baer wrote:

> Very much on topic is this article I pulled off of the Sci-Fi Wire
> web site (http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/)
>
> 11.22 am ET, 7-Nov-97 Butler's Kindred Headed To Film

        This is wonderful!

> Kindred, the Hugo and Nebula Award-winning novel by famed SF author
> Octavia E. Butler, is headed for the silver screen courtesy of Def
> Pictures and Polygram Filmed Entertainment, according to Variety. The
> two film companies bought the adaptation of Butler's novel from
> Nicholas Brandt and Bridget Blake-Wilson, with Brandt attached to the
> project as director. Kindred is a time travel novel about a modern
> black woman who is repeatedly drawn back to the 19th-century South by
> her white, slave-owning ancestor.

        Who will they cast in the lead? I see Whoopi Goldberg in the role,
but the very ease with which I said this shows how badly Hollywood has
fallen into the "we HAVE a black dramatic actress!"

> Eventually the woman is faced with the choice of saving the man from
> death, knowing that if she does so he will eventually enslave a
> free-born black woman who will turn out to become her own
> great-grandmother.

        Yes. I left that novel hideously depressed.

> According to Variety, the reclusive Butler, who was the recipient of
> a MacArthur Foundation "genius" grant, has rarely allowed her novels
> to be optioned for film. Actress Talia Shire held the rights to
> Kindred for eight years, but when she failed to renew them in 1996,
> they were snapped up by Brandt. --Sci-Fi Wire

        Well --- it's not really a Talia Shire part, now, is it?

Patricia (Pat) Mathews
mathews @unm.edu