Re: [*FSFFU*] Lt. Ripley

From: Barbara Benesch (BJBenesch@AOL.COM)
Date: Fri Nov 21 1997 - 00:50:20 PST

In a message dated 97-11-20 03:54:09 EST, Geoffrey Sperl wrote:

> Devil's advocate alert! ****Please,**** don't think any of this is my
> personal opinion...
>
> And what of the arguments that Ripley is the same "last girl" seen in
> slasher films, from _Texas Chainsaw Massacre_ to _Halloween_ to _A
> Nightmare on Elm Street_? If the argument of the last girl is that the
> girl is becoming the masculine, and turning the beast/monster/horror
> into the feminine, where does that leave Ripley? Is she merely Rambo
> with more estrogen?
>
> - Geoffrey
> --
> "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." - Ford Prefect

Geoffrey,

I promise not to take it personally if you promise to tell me of this "last
girl" thing. I don't really watch slasher movies (since I usually spent the
summer out in the backwoods with a bunch of other girls with nothing more
than CB radios to connect us, I figured giving my overactive imagination
_more_ material to work with was a bad idea), so I think I've got an idea of
what you're trying to say, if you could explain it out a bit more I'd
appreciate it.

Thanks,

Barbara Benesch
BJBenesch@aol.com