Re: [*FSFFU*] SF and academia and popularity

From: Sean Johnston (sean-johnston@UIOWA.EDU)
Date: Fri Nov 21 1997 - 16:30:11 PST

>> SF is not popular (though it may be culture). Sci-fi might be popular, but
>> SF isn't.
>
>Stupid question time. Heather (or anybody else), would you mind explaining
>the SF/Sci-fi distinction to yes, an academic?
>
>Thanks,
>Honor

Capsule definition: Sci-fi is like _Independence Day_ or _Men in Black_.
Science fiction is like _Blade Runner_, _Contact_, or _2001: A Space
Odyssey_. SF is more serious than Sci-Fi, deeper, more intelligent
generally, whereas Sci-Fi, to my knowledge, has a lot to do with lasers,
bug-eyes monsters trying to take over the world, that sort of thing. Both
are entertaining, but Sci-Fi tends to unfairly and undeservedly overshadow
SF.
        It's not a stupid question, Honor. It's an important one and an
important distinction to make.

-Sean

"I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees."--Charles H. Houston