Re: [*FSFFU*] SF / Sci-Fi

From: Joel VanLaven (jvl@OCSYSTEMS.COM)
Date: Fri Nov 21 1997 - 21:03:31 PST

Well academics and "insiders" might give value judgemnets to SF vs Sci-Fi,
but this is my impression:

1)
SF (speculative fiction) is what you call it when you don't want to freak
out the science-phobic. (it is the PC, non-inflammatory, benign form)
Actually it seems almost like a secret code-word. It doesn't ring the
bells of the anti-Sci-Fi bigots, but WE all know what it really means.

2)
Sci-Fi (Science Fiction) is a sub-category of SF (Speculative Fiction).
It relies heavily on technology and/or hard science, and is generally on
the future. (though this is also hard vs. soft Sci-Fi) I don't see why
the word science isn't as appropriate for other SF as it is for Sci-Fi,
given that it's probably social sience or something like that (since
science is simply the logical analysis of our world (in all it's aspects)
and SF is the creative writing of hypothetical worlds (in a broad
sense) that hang together scientifically (alternate rules of science are
acceptable here)).

So, To me, someone saying SF or speculative fiction, or Sci-Fi, or Science
Fiction gnerally will give me more of an impression of the person's mood
and attitude than the merits of the book they are talking about.

-- Joel VanLaven