[*FSFFU*] SF and academia

From: Martha Bartter (mbartter@TRUMAN.EDU)
Date: Mon Nov 24 1997 - 08:59:05 PST

While we're on this thread: the International Association
for the Fantastic in the Arts (a well-known and popular
group) holds its Annual Conference in Ft. Lauderdale again
this coming March. Lois McMaster Bujold is the Guest Writer.

Normally, several academic panels assemble around a Guest Writer.
This year we don't have even ONE. I'm putting one together
(late -- the CFP closed last month), but I'm doing a paper,
and so is a friend of mine. And of course, Lois will be there.

If you haven't read any of her work, I recommend it: strong
women characters, interesting plots, lots of really deep
character analysis, and of course the kind of action that one
counts on in popular fiction (not always bloody, BTW). She
has won a really impressive number of SF awards: Nebulas,
Hugos, Analogs, Locus etc. Yet no academic has proposed a
paper on her work (except myself and one other at my urging).

What this leads to: We should have room for at least one
more paper, if any of you want to 1) propose & write it
and 2) come to Florida in March to present it. You will need
to create something "academically respectable" but you DO NOT
need to have an academic affiliation.

Please contact me off-list if interested: mbartter@truman.edu

Martha Bartter
Truman State University