[*FSFFU*] Guy Gavriel Kay

From: M.J.Norman (mmnorman@MACLINE.CO.UK)
Date: Mon Nov 24 1997 - 07:35:41 PST

Hello all,
        I'm new to this list and I've been reading postings (lurking) the
last few weeks with much interest. Although I taught (secondary school)
English in the US and then the UK, for 5 years, I tend to do my leisure
reading in a very uncritical way, perhaps in reaction, I don't know. I hope
this list will help me become more consciously critical (which might keep
my brain functioning better now I'm not teaching ;-)). One thing for sure,
I definitely have a lot of catch-up reading to do!
        To my question (finally!). I was curious what readers of this list
thought of Guy Gavriel Kay. I only "discovered" him when I moved to
England a few years ago and I've become a great fan. Aside from the fact
that he seems to create nearly as many strong female characters as male (an
important consideration for me), I really enjoy the sense of background and
history, fantastical though it may be, one gets in his books. I also like
his level of "heightened language". His characters speak differently than
we in the "real" world, but it's not too precious or convoluted (IMHO). I
only hope some day I can write more like that.
        Anyway, back to lurking for awhile.
Cheers,
Monica Norman
Hamshire, UK