Re: [*FSFFU*] Guy Gavriel Kay

From: lisa schmeiser (diva@wired.com)
Date: Mon Nov 24 1997 - 23:49:30 PST

>again, but Diarmuid was better). Kay's strong storytelling ability keeps me
>reading, but I'm not sure how much I like what he's doing now. Anyone else?

one thing i do like about his work is how thoroughly he immerses himself in
the culture he's using as the geographical/social backdrop to his stories
... tFT was right-on with a lot of the Celtic/early English references,
_Tigana_ captured Renaissance Italy ... the food, names, folk lore all
match up. It shows that at least he's doing his legwork.

But I do agree - he developed a formula in tFT, and has been working
variations of it ever since. I was terribly disappointed by _The Lions of
Al-rassan_.

lovin' this thread -lisa