Re: [*FSFFU*] SF/Sci-Fi

From: Lindy S. L. Lovvik (laorka@MEER.NET)
Date: Mon Nov 24 1997 - 23:24:17 PST

Hi,

This is the first I have heard of a difference between sci fi
and SF. I grew up in a small town in Michigan and have mostly
lived in CA since then, which may partly explain why it all
seems the same to me.

Whatever it's called (and I'll probably continue to call it sci
fi), I love it inclusively. I am as happy reading star trek
books (by favorite and talented writers) as I am reading Ursula
K. Le Guin. I like comic books. I like biographies of women,
like the Brontes and Wolfe and Winnemucca. I like Nancy Mairs
essays. I like Tony Morrison.

I bring something away from each type.

Maybe it's just because I love to read.

I am not comfortable dividing the sci fi category into "worthy"
and "worthless," nor labeling someone negatively because of that
person's taste in literature. Every one makes the distinction
of worthiness on her or his own.

For example: Asimov's _Foundation_ trilogy. . .I found the
characters to be stale and flat. Many people hail Asimov as. . .
someone on the top of the sci fi christmas tree. Not me, at least
not today.

I like discussing many kinds of literature with nearly every kind
of human. You'd be surprised at the insight displayed by ordinary
people.

Regards,

Lindy

--
"If I had my past life to live over, I'd make all the same
 mistakes, only sooner."  --Tallulah Bankhead

http://www.best.com/~laorka Resources related to women, disabilities and literature ***Moving Soon to Meer.net***

Kirsten Corby wrote:

(snip)

> . . .By which I mean, those people who are real fans, > who know SF and love it, refer to it as SF. There's even an adjectival form > of the word, "SF-nal." "Sci-Fi" is used by people who neither understand SF > nor like it, but occasionally try to jump on the bandwagon and cash in on it. > Like the people who made Battlestar Galactica or the movie Starship > Troopers. This is the only distinction I've ever made. But I suppose, by > extension, "sci-fi" could then refer to bad SF movies and TV shows made by > mundanes masquerading as members of the community.

(snip)