Re: [*FSFFU*] Guy Gavriel Kay

From: Erik Tsao (aa1004@WAYNE.EDU)
Date: Mon Oct 27 1997 - 14:49:15 PST

>Hi- I just wanted to correct a misconception: Tigana was
>not Kay's first fanatsy novel - it was The Summer Tree and
>two more books in a series.
>I am very fond of all of his books, Tigana among them, but
>so far my favorite is A Song for Arbonne, on a number
>of levels, from his use of both Old Provencal culture and
>literary forms to his transformation of the ethos of
>courtly love. I have read " The Lions" but not connected
>so intimately with it...
>Jan BOgstad bogstajm

I was aware of the older trilogy. I meant to say that it was the first
novel which he based on a historical nation (Renaissance Italy). The rest
have been based on the France of the Troubadours, and Spain during the
Crusades.

Erik

Erik Tsao
Department of English
Wayne State University
Detroit, MI

"Ah! to return to life! To stare at our deformities. And this poison, this
eternally accursèd embrace! My weakness, and the world's cruelty! My God,
have pity, hide me, I can't control myself at all! I am hidden, and I am
not.
        And as the Damned soul rises, so does the fire."

-- From Arthur Rimbaud, "Night in Hell," _The Complete Works_. Tr. Paul
Schmidt. New York: Harper, 1975.