Re: [*FSFFU*] Guy Gavriel Kay

From: Susan Courtney (susan.courtney@VIRGIN.NET)
Date: Mon Nov 24 1997 - 10:32:43 PST

M.J.Norman wrote:

> Hello all,
> I'm new to this list and I've been reading postings (lurking) the
> last few weeks with much interest. Although I taught (secondary school)
> English in the US and then the UK, for 5 years, I tend to do my leisure
> reading in a very uncritical way, perhaps in reaction, I don't know. I hope
> this list will help me become more consciously critical (which might keep
> my brain functioning better now I'm not teaching ;-)). One thing for sure,
> I definitely have a lot of catch-up reading to do!
> To my question (finally!). I was curious what readers of this list
> thought of Guy Gavriel Kay. I only "discovered" him when I moved to
> England a few years ago and I've become a great fan. Aside from the fact
> that he seems to create nearly as many strong female characters as male (an
> important consideration for me), I really enjoy the sense of background and
> history, fantastical though it may be, one gets in his books. I also like
> his level of "heightened language". His characters speak differently than
> we in the "real" world, but it's not too precious or convoluted (IMHO). I
> only hope some day I can write more like that.
> Anyway, back to lurking for awhile.
> Cheers,
> Monica Norman
> Hamshire, UK

Hi Monica,

I'm also a Yankee in Britain and refugee from critical reading, taking
my escape in SF (by which I mean Speculative Fiction - including
Sci-Fi), now trying to raise my consciousness. A strong second to your
Guy Gavrial Kay interest. I love the character of Catriana in Tigana -
despite, or maybe because of how she uses her feminine wiles in the
service of everything except the pursuit of the man she loves. Also,
Jennifer in The Fionavar Tapestry because, although she is cast as a
rape victim, her determination to let her son make his own choices is as
heroic a feminine choice as I can think of - and right in tune with my
own person-centred training and values.

Bright blessings,

Susan Courtney
Kent, UK