Re: [*FSFFU*] SF/Sci-Fi

From: Barbara Benesch (BJBenesch@aol.com)
Date: Tue Nov 25 1997 - 15:29:13 PST

In a message dated 97-11-25 02:33:14 EST, Lindy Lowik wrote:

> Hi,
<snip>
> Whatever it's called (and I'll probably continue to call it sci
> fi), I love it inclusively. I am as happy reading star trek
> books (by favorite and talented writers) as I am reading Ursula
> K. Le Guin. I like comic books. I like biographies of women,
> like the Brontes and Wolfe and Winnemucca. I like Nancy Mairs
> essays. I like Tony Morrison.
>
> I bring something away from each type.
>
> Maybe it's just because I love to read.
>
> I am not comfortable dividing the sci fi category into "worthy"
> and "worthless," nor labeling someone negatively because of that
> person's taste in literature. Every one makes the distinction
> of worthiness on her or his own.
>
> Regards,
>
> Lindy
> --
> "If I had my past life to live over, I'd make all the same
> mistakes, only sooner." --Tallulah Bankhead

While I officially frown tolerantly at this type of post:

Yeah, what she said.

Okay, seriously. I'm very glad you posted this, Lindy, because I'd been
becoming increasingly uncomfortable with the SF/Sci-Fi distinctions, just
like I've always been uncomfortable with the "hard"/"soft" science
distinctions. Personally, I think it's all a lot of hooey. I will grant an
exception in the case of people who really want to separate "speculative
fiction" from "science fiction", but really, I've always called science
fiction in all its forms (including speculative fiction) "sci-fi". If this
makes me some sort of bumpkin, so be it, but really, I can't imagine Vonda
(sorry to pick on you, Vonda, but your book's been talked about on the list
most recently, and it's the one I can remember right now) really cares what a
person _calls_ "The Moon and The Sun", so long as they don't compare it to
fecal matter.

I guess my point is that just a few weeks ago we were all bemoaning the lack
of science fiction readers, and now we're discussing the differences between
"real" and "not-real" science fiction (I know it's couched in different
terms, but that's really what's being said here). Telling those people who
*do* like science fiction but prefer "lighter" science fiction, that what
they like doesn't "count" as truly being science fiction is just going to
push them farther away from the shelves, IMO.

Regardless, like Lindy, I will probably continue to call science fiction
"sci-fi" whether I'm reading Alan Dean Foster, Sheri Tepper, tie-in novels or
Le Guin.

Well, I think I was planning on putting forth something for further
discussion, but I think I just stated my opinion. As always, hope I smushed
no one's toes.

Take care, all, and have a good Turkey Day.

Barbara Benesch
BJBenesch@aol.com