Re: [*FSFFU*] old thread- feminist dystopias/utopias [long]

From: Lorry B. Bond (lbbond@STUDENTS.WISC.EDU)
Date: Wed Nov 26 1997 - 17:03:37 PST

At 11:52 AM 11/25/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Okay, so I've tried to sit and think about about this
> My first (but maybe not best) reaction to the reason for sepratism is
>the time-frame the book was written. I don't know how good an answer
>this is (late '60s, early '70s) but sometimes those of use who didn't
>live through times (I'm only 25 and all my experience of feminist lib
>during the '70s is vicarious and at least half academic) can't judge the
>anger at the status quo. I get angry thinking about the problems then,
>and sometimes it does seem (even now) that seperatism would be a
>solution. It's just not going to happen. SO, the miraculous or
>catastrophic ways to eliminate the other sex provide a way of working
>out a vastly different cultural influence.
> As to why there don't "seem" to be all-male separatist u/distopias, I
>don't think it's solely biology. The men towards the end of Walk to the
>End of the World wanted to eliminate women for the most part, and other
>books work out (non-sep) means for artificial wombs, etc. One part
>might be the prevalent male homophobia covered up by a "boys' club"
>atmosphere. I would say it is technically easier for women to procreate
>without men, but modern and SF technology often seems to work more
>towards procreation without women. Besides, often in novels males in
>the plot are separated from women (military, technology escapades) OR it
>is much easier to envision a world (like the Holdfast) where men
>dominate women and have no reason to eliminate them (esp immediately).
> Freedom is something very interesting, especially where freedom of
>person conflicts with society. I think one way this is more easily
>expressed is through the prevalence of non-monogamous relationships
>between women. From being "owned" by one (or many) men into
>self-direction... it seems that one of the first ways (possibly) women
>would express rebellion would be to try to eliminate this possessiveness
>in sex/caring relationships. But again, it takes some time to get there
>(witness the Free Fems' system still harem-like while the Riding Women
>try hard for the opposite). I think (as on Whileaway) that promoting a
>family of women so that even birth-mother doesn't have possession of a
>child (unlike the patriarchal father).
> I do want to emphasize this though
>>"being free might mean the same as "being the master" if their only terms of
>reference were those of the" master. I would say that is one of the
>things to be fought against when becoming "free" as freedom would mean
>different things. That's a way of looking at the differences between
>the Js in the Female-Man and the methods of achieving separatism. Jael
>said that Whileaway was started on a war, which would of necessity be
>denied. Violence responses to violence begets Jael's world. Okay, this
>is getting confused, but I hope you see what I'm trying to say. As for
>why the violence exists, it would take a while to breed out the need for
> [...]
Okay, after all this -- as far as storylines in which men may or may not
have wanted to eliminate women from the Earth . . . let me direct your
attention to Flynn Connoly's __Rising of the Moon__ in which men DO
eliminate women from the earth by shipping 'em all to the Moon!!!

BTW -- I'm new to the list, have just been lurking the past few days, but I
wanted to respond to this one!

Lorry