Re: [*FSFFU*] The Handmaid's Tale

From: Pat (mathews@UNM.EDU)
Date: Thu Nov 27 1997 - 17:03:55 PST

On Thu, 27 Nov 1997, Jen Gamble wrote:

> I was just wondering if anyone could help me out? I'm writing a
> thesis-driven paper about the socio-cultural experiences of the women in
> The Handmaid's Tale. I really don't have any idea where to start...does
> anyone have any suggestions as to a subject or thesis?
> Thanks...

        Go get a copy of Heinlein's REVOLT IN 2100 - used or new - and
read it on top of the HANDMAID'S TALE. I don't think Atwood ever read
Heinlein in her life, but look at the beginning of the regime (Atwood) and
the end (Heinlein). That gives you an arc for the culture itself. Note:
REVOLT was written 40 years before HANDMAID and HANDMAID is still a
perfe4ct prequel to REVOILT!

Patricia (Pat) Mathews
mathews @unm.edu
        "With a 14.4 modem it's not netsurfing.It's webcrawling."

"Wanted, one ghost. Experience and good character required. Ability to ing
tenor an advantage. Apply Paris Opera before New Years, 1882."