Re: [*FSFFU*] attribution of quotation

From: Lesley Hall (Lesley_Hall@classic.msn.com)
Date: Thu Nov 27 1997 - 12:54:36 PST

As I was saying myself....

Sean,
   Didn't the "I'd rather die on my feet..." line come from La Pasionara,
heroine of the Spanish Civil War? I guess it's possible that more than
one person generated that idea, but I'm curious. Do you know the date
from your source?
        Terry

I've finally disinterred my Dictionary of Quotations which certainly
attributes it to her (Dolores Ibarruri); cited as 'Speech in Paris, 3 Sep
1936'. I suspect this predates the Houston quote, and this may in fact be
quoting her?
Lesley
Lesley_Hall@classic.msn.com