Re: [*FSFFU*] attribution of quotation

From: Sean Johnston (sean-johnston@UIOWA.EDU)
Date: Thu Nov 27 1997 - 20:47:11 PST

>As I was saying myself....
>
>Sean,
> Didn't the "I'd rather die on my feet..." line come from La Pasionara,
>heroine of the Spanish Civil War? I guess it's possible that more than
>one person generated that idea, but I'm curious. Do you know the date
>from your source?
> Terry
>
>I've finally disinterred my Dictionary of Quotations which certainly
>attributes it to her (Dolores Ibarruri); cited as 'Speech in Paris, 3 Sep
>1936'. I suspect this predates the Houston quote, and this may in fact be
>quoting her?
>Lesley
>Lesley_Hall@classic.msn.com

Lesley,
        Haven't a clue. To me, it's just a cool, and hopefully true,
statement; the possessor of the mouth from whom it originally emanated is
unimportant. Not to sound like I'm dissing you, though, this Dolores
Ibarruri sounds rather interesting.

-Sean

Stand for something or you'll fall for anything.--Author Unknown