Re: [*FSFFU*] Gate to Women's Country

From: The Jeli's (utaar@CNNW.NET)
Date: Thu Nov 27 1997 - 21:09:31 PST

>As a thought-experiment, I have no problem with this; in the sense
>that _Gate_ is generally referred to as a "utopia" (and I've no idea
>whether Tepper sees that society as utopian or not), I have a problem
>because of the way in which utopias are often taken as potential
>blueprints. While I can open my own jars, I would also prefer not to live
>in a world from which men have been eliminated. As a lesbian, I would
>certainly not want to live in Women's Country -- but then I wouldn't be
>given that option,would I?

I for one definitely do not consider the Women's Country a utopia. Except
for the few women at the top, the women's lives are very constricted and
it seems they have few choices in life. The idea of a few running everything
while keeping everyone else in the dark is disturbing. I definitely do not
like others making my life choices for me, male or female. I don't let any
man tell me what to do, I'm sure not going to let other women tell me
what's right for me and every other woman--theoretically, of course. :-)

Cami
utaar@cnnw.net
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ranch/7115
"What we call human nature in actuality is human habit"