Re: [*FSFFU*] Strange Days movie

From: DAVID CHRISTENSON (LDQT79A@PRODIGY.COM)
Date: Mon Dec 01 1997 - 12:22:38 PST

-- [ From: David Christenson * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

Funny how nobody (here or in mainstream criticism) ever mentions the
long, excruciating rape scenes that are presented in first-person camera
-eye point of view in this movie. I watch a lot of drama and action
movies, and these were possibly the most relentless, brutal rape scenes
on film I've ever seen (actually, I fast-forwarded through the second
one because I couldn't stand it). Don't get me wrong, I understand the
use of violence as part of a serious drama, but these scenes disturbed
me. To me, they crossed the line into exploitation, especially since the
point of view invites the viewer to put him/herself in the role of the
rapist.

This movie lost money, and I think its use of explicit violence was as
much at fault as its unpleasant protagonist and difficult plotline.

--
David Christenson - ldqt79a@prodigy.com

"Reality doesn't need friends." - James Tiptree Jr.