[*FSFFU*] Strange days

From: Erik Tsao (aa1004@wayne.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 04 1997 - 08:00:11 PST

CMunson wrote:
>Getting back to the discussion at hand, I must take exception to the writer
>who mentioned "City of Quartz" and Strange Days in the same sentence. While
>"City of Quartz" is a great book, and I've been anxiously awaiting the
>sequel for years, Strange Days is simply a bad movie with no social
>insight. I've never been to L.A., but City of Quartz actually got me
>interested in someday making a trip there.

I don't think James Cameron was going for social commentary. In truth it
wasn't all that original as far as the storyline goes. But the visuals
were compelling, and that's what struck me about the film. It was formally
speaking an interesting film. Contentwise, there are far more interesting
stuff out there about the fin de millenium (like the program, _Millennium_
itself). My gloss on _CIty of Quartz_ was for people who had seen the
movie and were interested in reading more about Los Angeles. There was no
strict connection being made between the two texts. Sorry about the
miscommunication.

Erik

Erik Tsao
Department of English
Wayne State University
Detroit, MI

"like bigger thomas
i didn't want to love but what
i loved for. i am."

-- Sonia Sanchez

(From _I've Been A Woman: New and Selected Poems_. Chicago, IL: Third
World Press, 1985. p. 78.)