[*FSFFU*] genres, etc.

From: Erik Tsao (aa1004@WAYNE.EDU)
Date: Thu Dec 04 1997 - 08:13:03 PST

Last night I wsa talking with a fellow graduate student who wanted to argue
against the idea that popular fiction is a part of popular culture. I
think I understand what he meant. Which was something like the fact that
people are more likely to consume pop cultural texts like film, music,
television, etc. than to read popular fiction. That doesn't seem quite
right considering the immense popularity of romance novels, adventure
fiction, and mysteries, not to forget mentioning science fiction and
fantasy. Not only that but there is a very clear connection, as we've seen
in some of the discussions on this list, that popular genres of film (such
as romance, mystery, adventure, etc.) are very much connected with popular
fiction. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Erik

Erik Tsao
Department of English
Wayne State University
Detroit, MI

"like bigger thomas
i didn't want to love but what
i loved for. i am."

-- Sonia Sanchez

(From _I've Been A Woman: New and Selected Poems_. Chicago, IL: Third
World Press, 1985. p. 78.)