Re: [*FSFFU*] genres, etc.

From: Christine Boltz (christine_b@EMAIL.MSN.COM)
Date: Thu Dec 04 1997 - 19:45:11 PST

If I am understanding this correctly, your fellow student was saying that
the written word is no longer a reflection of popular culture because people
have abandoned it for other media such as film and tv. I agree with you
that he is mistaken. I do not have any statistics on whether more people
are reading now than they were a few decades ago, but it seems like fiction
has evolved so that it is more omnipresent than ever before and both
reflects and influences other cultural media.

As you said, fiction is closely tied to these other media, such as movies
based on novels and novels based on television series. Sometimes they are a
little too closely tied--like books whose original covers have been replaced
by the ad for the movie (which I have a personal dislike for).