Re: [*FSFFU*] genres, etc.

From: Cat Farrar (cat@CFMC.COM)
Date: Mon Dec 08 1997 - 19:39:48 PST

Either way, this form of communication is valuable. What did we have before
this? I'm pleased to be able to communicate with others that share my
values and that live all over the world. This is a great medium. We should
feel blessed, for now.

By the way, I'm interested in reading books that feature strong,
independent woman that are physically fit and confident in their approach to
life. Haven't read science fiction since high school, so I need
recommendations. I am emphatically not interested in reading about any
female characters who did it all or even part of it for a male. I'm not
exclusively intersted in lesbian heros. I just want to read about female
heros that are heroic. This must include physical strength or skill.
Looking forward to all the recommendations I'm sure will come in.

If anyone wants to explain why they recommend a certain book, I'm sure you
can understand why that would be valuable.

If you enjoy and value strong women, do a web search for Amazon International.

Cat Farrar

At 09:10 PM 12/8/97 -0600, you wrote:
>At 07:50 PM 12/7/97 -0600, you wrote:
>>On Sat, 6 Dec 1997, Lorry B. Bond wrote:
>>
>>> Just a thought -- For any of you who think the written word is no longer a
>>> reflection of popular culture, exactly how much time have you spent reading
>>> the postings on this list???? BIG <G>
>>>
>>> Lorry
>>
>>If (or more likely, when) they come up with means of participating in
>>on-line discussions by using a microphone instead of typing, don't you
>>think it will affect the numbers of people still willing to type and read
>>the messages?
>>
>>Marina
>>

>May be hard to predict, but it will be interesting to see what actually
>happens! This will most likely be a reality in our lifetimes (I already
>have a computer that I can speak commands into, but don't have it hooked up
>. . . )
>
>Lorry

                ~Cat Farrar
"Gender is a lived ideology...that becomes EMBODIED because it is enforced."

~Martha McCaughey
 Real Knockouts - The Physical Feminism of Women's Self-Defense